Sunday 12 February 2012

Ice Skating


I love that as a young child my uncle taught me how to rollerblade and ice skate. I have wonderful memories of him taking the time to teach me these skills. He always demonstrated patience and offered helpful tips like making the letter “C” when skating backwards. He would also attend skating field trips and always brought so much humor and fun to the activity that most of the class would surround him and beckon for silliness. I have now had the pleasure to enjoy this wonderful past-time with my lovely aunt who also shares a love for skating and who was also taught by her husband, my uncle. I am truly thankful for this as I have built beautiful memories of sharing this experience together.
Now, as a mother, I want to pass this same joy to my children. I believe that children learn from their experiences and when they are given time and attention they build self-confidence which enables them to take more risks and allows for more accomplishments as they learn new skills. I certainly had to help M a lot during this activity but the joy he exuded when he finally stood all by himself was worth every back breaking second. I exclaimed “You must be so happy that you are doing it.” He responded happily “Yes, my am mama.”
There are many arenas that offer free ice time and many used sporting goods stores that sell equipment at a reasonable rate. You can also ask for hand-me-downs from family or friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment