Monday 6 February 2012

Geo Board

Homemade Geo board.
M is learning how to create shapes.
For now we have simple shapes and lines.


I have a new-found interest in pinterest…needless to say the ideas are endless.
I saw this great idea for making your own geo board with a piece of wood, push-pins and elastics. I happened to have an old piece of wood and I painted it black. The push-pins were $2.25 for 100 pins and the elastics were $1.87 for a huge bag. On a separate piece of paper, I drew a grid the same size as the board and made each pin 2 inches apart. I hammered a pin wherever the lines crossed to give straight, even lines. (It doesn’t matter how far apart the pins are – 2 inches just worked for the size of board I had.)

There are so many learning opportunities with this activity.

Benefits for your child:

Fine motor development
Pincer grasp
Hand-eye coordination

Cognition
Creating shapes
Recognizing familiar objects  
Problem-solving skills ~ brainstorming solutions and outcomes

Language
Placing words to describe actions or objects

Emotional
Building self-concept and self-esteem

You can easily spend $20.00-$150.00 on geometric kits for your children. With a few materials and about an hour of time you can create your own. Best of all, your child gets all the learning benefits while they are playing with their new activity.
I am pleased to say that this activity cost me $4.12.  ~ Nifty and Thrifty!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment